[netCDF #NCN-231156]: C++ vector of NcFile

Hi Bob,

Yes, you're right, there are no no-arg constructors for NcFile
objects.  I think you need no-arg constructors to make an array as
well, but it's been a while since I looked at the C++ rules, so I
could be wrong about that.

As you may guess from looking at the C++ API, it was written before
templates, exceptions, and name spaces were a standard part of the C++
language, and it needs some updating.  We had a student working on a
new C++ netCDF interface last summer, but it's not ready for release
(and may not be until another summer's worth of work makes it ready to
fully support the netCDF-4 data model as well as netCDF-3 features).

You're also right that loading a bunch of netCDF files will not take
much memory.  When a netCDF file is opened, only the schema is read
into memory, not the data.

--Russ

Ticket ID: NCN-231156
Department: Support netCDF