[netCDF #NFX-771785]: [netcdfgroup] Problem with default fill values

Hi,

I'm having trouble duplicating the problem you are reporting without more
information.

What is the type of the variable?  Are you actually calling the "put" method to
write the value
0 into the variable?

I have included below a small program that just creates a new netCDF file, an
integer variable named
"my_var", and writes 0 into the variable.  When I run ncdump on it, I get:

  netcdf testfill {
  variables:
          int my_var ;
  data:

   my_var = 0 ;
  }

as expected.  If instead I comment out the statement that writes the data, it
gets written with the
default fill value and when I run ncdump on it, I also get the expected
output:

  netcdf testfill {
  variables:
          int my_var ;
  data:

   my_var = _ ;
  }

Here is the program:

#include <iostream>
#include <netcdfcpp.h>
using namespace std;

// Return this in event of a problem.
static const int NC_ERR = 2;

int
main(void) {
   NcFile dataFile("testfill.nc", NcFile::Replace);
   if (!dataFile.is_valid()) {
      cout << "Couldn't open file!\n";
      return NC_ERR;
   }
   NcVar *data = dataFile.add_var("my_var", ncInt);
   int dataOut = 0;
   data->put(&dataOut);
   cout << "*** SUCCESS writing example file testfill.nc!" << endl;
   return 0;
}

--Russ

Ticket ID: NFX-771785