[netCDF #GLR-853070]: Problems installing netcdf 3.6.2 on AIX 5.3

> Hi there,
>
> apologies if this is a double post but I replied ealier to ticket no. netCDF
> #HXY-319608 but it's status is closed.
>
> I am trying to build CAM3.1 on an AIX 5.3 machine but am getting netcdf
> library error messages that look like:
>
> -L/gpfs/home/hanson/ginah/netcdf/lib -lnetcdf
> > -L/gpfs/home/hanson/ginah/cam31/work/camrun.1/bld/esmf/lib/libO/rs6000_64
> > -lesmf -
> > q64 -lmass -qsmp=omp
> > ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .nf_strerror
> > ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .nf_close
> > ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .nf_put_vara_double
> > ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .nf_put_vara_real

Is "-lnetcdf" in the correct place in your link command? Maybe it should be at
the end?

Are you using the same fortran compiler that you used with the netCDF build?

Can you use the nm command to see if these functions are really in your
library?

> Yesterday, unidata support told me that the --enable-64bit command was not
> supported by netcdf version 3.6.2 but the link I was sent to follow says it
> is:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Building-on-64-Bit-Platforms.html

The Unidata support team is mostly just me. ;-)

--enable-64bit was an option in 3.6.1 but I took it out for 3.6.2, because it
was too hard to maintain and too weird.

However, I neglected to take it out of the documentation. I've fixed that now,
so that the snapshot documentation, and the docs for the next versions, will be
correct. Sorry about the confusion.

> I also did a "make check" in the nf_test directory and it was fine. Is there
> something else that I am missing or could try here as I keep getting error
> messages that the netcdf libraries are undefined or cannot be found?

If "make check" in the nf_test directory successfully runs the netCDF fortran
tests, then your netCDF fortran library is working, so your problems are in
your linking to it from your model build.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: GLR-853070
Department: Support netCDF