[netCDF #XWA-538608]: nco and netcdf installing help

> I checked the NCO website and found that we can install NCO using cygwin on
> win32.
> But the problem is you need netcdf-4 for that. The link you provided is
> netcdf-3.6.1
> is not suitable for cygwin NCO installation (may be i can use a later NCO
> version which uses
> netcdf 3). What should i do?. how can i get netcdf-4,
> i got a link http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/netcdf-4/ , but the
> link says that
> netcdf 4 is in operational use and it also need hdf libraries. I'm still in
> utter confusion.
>
> Hope you will reply,
> Prasanth

Howdy Prasanth!

Whether you use netCDF-3.6.2 (the latest stable release) or netCDF-4.0-beta1
(the current beta release) is up to you.

If you are not interested in any of the netCDF-4 features, then probably you
want 3.6.2.

I believe NCO will work with either, but I am not sure about that.

Both netCDF-3.6.2 and the netCDF-4 snapshot release build and test cleanly
under cygwin.

To get the netCDF-3.6.2 release, see the netCDF homepage:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/

To get the latest netCDF-4 snapshot, see the netCDF-4 snapshot page:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/builds/snapshot/index_4.html

To build netCDF-4 see these instructions:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/netcdf-4/newdocs/netcdf-install/Quick-Instructions.html#Quick-Instructions

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: XWA-538608
Department: Support netCDF