[netCDF #RWK-638692]: Building shared libraries under SuSE Linux 64bit

> Hi Ed,
> unfortunately yes, I need the Fortran libraries.
> When I try to use ScientificPython it tries to link to the shared netcdf
> libraries, and the readme says netcdf should be build using
> --enable-shared (this is odd as i cant remember doing this before...).

OK, I see this on their web page. But I still don't think they use the fortran
API.

> I dont think i need shared libraries for c++, which is why i used the
> precompiled libraries from your page and set the --disable-cxx flag when
> building netcdf.
> So the problem remains of being in need of a shared fortran library for
> netcdf.
> (Apart from Scientific, all the other Fortran stuff I use is happy using
> the static libraries.)

Try building a shared C-only netCDF library, for Scientific Python to use, and
another, static library, with fortran, for your fortran programs to use.

So for scientific python:

make distclean && ./configure --enable-shared --disable-cxx --disable-f77
--disable-utilities --disable-examples --prefix=/somewhere && make check
install

Please let me know if this works.

Thanks!

Ed