[Support #NJK-825861]: the best software to make dowload

Hi Elaine,

I apologize for not replying to your email before now...

re:
> Thanks for your reply,I answer your questions about my search:

re:what data did you download

> *data of precipitation and evaportaion rate

OK.

re: from where did you download the data
> *from siteb http://www.cdc.noaa.gov

OK.

re: how are you trying to open the data you downloaded

> *I don�t want a plot, I want the DATA for to build my own plot or grapher,
> so I need use a programm to open this acrchiev and is from your
> site,becaouse I received the message:
> FTP a copy of the file
> Examine file metadata

> What are NetCDF files and how can I read them?

You can easily dump the contents of a netCDF file in ASCII using the 'ncdump'
utility that is part of our netCDF distribution.  You can download the
source for the netCDF using anonymous FTP from our FTP server,
ftp.unidata.ucar.edu:

ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd pub/netcdf
  binary
  get netcdf.xxx.tar.Z      <- actual name will depend on which version you want
                               I recommend starting with netcdf-3.6.1.tar.Z
  quit

tar xvzf netcdf-3.6.1.tar.Z

The instructions for building the netCDF from source are contained in
the netCDF web pages on our site:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf

This site also has lots of information on what tools are available in
the netCDF distribtion and how to download the software.

You didn't say what kind of a machine you are using.  If it is a Windows
machine, you may want to download a prebuilt binary of the netCDF for
Windows.  The web pages have instructions for doing this.

> Specify a new image from the NCEP Reanalysis Surface Flux data set.
> So, I would like a site to open my DATA the name of DATA when we save in PC
> is FTP a copy of the file :152.92.17.60.126.8.35.1.nc

Once you have the netCDF package installed (either built from source or
installed from a binary distribution), you would use the utility 'ncdump'
to list data from the file.  Instructions on using 'ncdump' can be found
in the netCDF web pages:

netCDF HomePage:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf

  Full netCDF Documentation
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/

The netCDF HomePage also has a list of packages that support the netCDF
format:

Software  for manipulating or displaying netCDF data
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/software.html

I think that our netCDF website will answer most, if not all, questions you
hae about netCDF and how to us it.

> Thanks again
> Elaine

Ticket ID: NJK-825861