[netCDF #PTR-825935]: netCDF4 renaming regression

> Hi Ed,
>
> On 11/29/2005 I e-mailed you a regression with ncrename.
> As far as I can tell, this regression is real and still exists.
> It was TODO nco658. I've updated it slightly as TODO nco821.
>
> The simplest way you might try to reproduce the problem is to
> create a netCDF file that contains only a single coordinate variable.
> Open the file, call nc_redef(), rename the dimension and the variable,
> call nc_enddef(), then close the file.
> This works for me _unless the file is in netCDF4 format_.
> In that case, nc_enddef() returns an "HDF error" (see below).
>
> The NCO equivalent to this is:
>
> ncks -O -C --fl_fmt=classic -v lat ~/nco/data/in.nc ~/foo.nc
> ncrename -O -d lat,new_lat -v lat,new_lat ~/foo.nc # works
>
> ncks -O -C --fl_fmt=netcdf4 -v lat ~/nco/data/in.nc ~/foo.nc
> ncrename -O -d lat,new_lat -v lat,new_lat ~/foo.nc # fails
>
> Here the ncks is first used to create a classic or netCDF4 file.
> That is the only difference. All operators are built with netcdf4.
> Note that "renaming" works fine with the netCDF4 file if only
> dimensions _or_ variables are renamed. The error is
> triggered when one renames _both_ a coordinate variable and its
> underlying dimension within the same instance of nc_redef().

Howdy Charlie!

I believe this bug is a manifestation of the HDF5 bug which Quincey (the HDF5
programmer) is currently working on. They tell me that they will be issuing a
beta2 release of HDF5 1.8.0 shortly, and when they do I will make sure this
rename issue is fixed before releasing netCDF-4.0-beta2.

I have also addressed your Fortran/g95 issues. You might try a recent snapshot.
g95 seems to be a much fussier F90 compiler than gfortran! But now it is
working on our nightly tests with g95.

I'm still working on the docs as well...

Thanks for all the beta help!

Ed

Ticket ID: PTR-825935
Department: Support netCDF