[netCDF #KVT-980429]: netCDF General - compiling

Todd,

> ... First, we would like to
> have windows DLL's working under MSC/Intel compilers. We have static
> library compiles working nicely with the cmake generated solution files.

I'm not sure we can be of much help with that.  What we know about building
DLLs on Windows is here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Windows.html#Windows

and lately we've been trying to use MinGW to do our Windows building and
testing.  The core Unidata community we're funded to support mostly uses Unix
systems, and that's what we primarily use for development and testing. Ed is
our only Windows expert, and he won't be back in the office until Monday next
week, but I know one of several areas he's currently working on is improving
Windows support.  I'll Cc: him on this response.

> Second, in order to compile static we had to make some very minor
> changes in the code. Would it be possible to contribute those changes
> back to you? That would allow us to benefit from having your experts
> look at them. Also, it would allow others who use NetCDF on windows to
> benefit from being able to compile static. The changes are mostly
> things like not using #define __DLL__ to mean WIN32. Also, it seems
> like it would be good for us to use libtool to get the DLL's compiled on
> windows (and perhaps the static libraries too) but we don't know
> anything about it.

Yes, we would definitely like to see those changes, so please send them either
as changes to our daily snapshot sources or as changes against the netCDF 3.6.2
release.  Again, Ed is the libtool expert, so I'll have to defer questions
about how to use libtool to generate DLLs to Ed.

--Russ

Ticket ID: KVT-980429
Department: Support netCDF