[netCDF #GTA-125251]: Needed support

Hi Limor,

> I openned your website on the ALMA and the netCDF formats, and I
> just don't understand what I need to download to my computer in
> order to read the file or maybe there is a procedure in the website
> that I didn't do.

I'm not sure what the "ALMA format" refers to, but we maintain the netCDF site
at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/

If you intend to read the netCDF file from a program, then you will need to
install the netCDF library, which is intended to be called from programs
written by developers to access data stored in netCDF form.  If you are using a
C, C++, or Fortran program, you will need the C-based netCDF library, which
also includes C++, Fortran-77, and Fortran-90 interfaces.  This is available in
source form from our web site, but you would have to follow the installation
instructions to build and install the libraries on your computer so your
programs could be linked with them to access data.

If instead you are using a Java program, you would need to download the
netCDF-Java library, also available from our web site.  You can also read
netCDF data from programs written in several other languages (Perl, Python,
Ruby, MATLAB, IDL, ...), for which you would need to download and install the
appropriate interface, in addition to the C library.

If you only want to print out some data or plot it, you may instead need to use
the "ncdump" utility, a simple command-line application for displaying what is
in a netCDF file and for printing selected data.  If you want an application
with a Graphical User Interface to visualize or plot netCDF data, there are
many programs to choose from, some freely available and some licensed:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/software.html

Some of the options above are not available for some platforms, so what you can
use also depends on what kind of computer and development environment you have
available.  For a simple introduction to netCDF, you might be intersted in
looking at the online workshop or tutorial:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/workshop/
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-tutorial.html

--Russ

Ticket ID: GTA-125251