[netCDF #SWV-560841]: Linking problem to pgf90 (Fortran90, Portland compiler)

> Dear Mr./Ms.
>

> I have installed netcdf-3.6.1
> I use the operative system SUSE10.1 (Linux)
> I Use the Portland compiler for my Fortran programs, version 6.2.5
>
> The Fortran compiler have no problem compiling standard programs
> I can read NetCDF files using programs such as Ferret and NCVIEW
>
> But when trying to compile Fortran programs with netcdf functions I get
> error messages. For example, when compiling the code from
> pres_temp_4D_wr.f90
>

> It is very strange since I had a working concept before switching from
> SUSE9.3 to SUSE10.0 and SUSE10.1. When upgrading to SUSE10 I had wo
> change PGI-compiler from PGI5.2 to PGI6.x. The consequnece when
> upgrading is that I can not process NetCDF-files. Please help me with
> this issue.
> There seems to me be problem with linking but I do not understand why
> this is the case.
> My idea of how to solve this problem is to switch to another Fortran
> compiler but that may have consequences for my other fortran programs
> and may be expensive?

> --
> Johan S�derkvist
> Department of Marine Ecology
> National Environmental Research Institute
> Aarhus Universitet
> Postbox 358
> Frederiksborgvej 399
> 4000 Roskilde
> Denmark
> Tel: +45 4630 1264
> Fax: +45 4630 1114

Howdy Johan!

I suggest you rebuild netCDF with your new fortran compiler.

NetCDF exposes some fortran functions based on what it thinks your compiler
wants to see. If the PGI compiler changed significantly, then the netCDF
library would have any functions that the new version of the PGI compiler can
find.

This is just a theory, but give it a try and let me know.

Thanks!

Ed

Ticket ID: SWV-560841
Department: Support netCDF