[netCDF #FEZ-604468]: cputype error

Matthew,

I just installed netCDF-3.6.1 on an Intel MacBook Pro laptop running
Mac OS X 10.4.8, and it seemed to work fine out of the box.  I didn't
specify any special flags to configure to specify that it should use a
64-bit model, but the result is still able to create and read large
files > 2 Gbytes with 64-bit offsets.  I don't have a Fortran compiler
installed on this Mac yet, so the build skipped making and testing a
Fortran interface, but it built the C and C++ interfaces with no
problems.

Here's what I did, after downloading and unpacking the netCDF 3.6.1
distribution and using a terminal window to change into the
netcdf-3.6.1/src directory.

  % ./configure
  % make check install

The output from these two commands is included in attachments.

I don't think you need to build a 64-bit library or 64-bit binaries to
use netCDF I/O, but you should be able to if you need to link netCDF
with other programs that have been built assuming a 64-bit
architecture.  If you invoke "./configure --help" it shows one of the
optional features is:

Optional Features:
  --disable-FEATURE       do not include FEATURE (same as --enable-FEATURE=no)
  --enable-FEATURE[=ARG]  include FEATURE [ARG=yes]
  --disable-flag-setting  Turn off configure's attempts to correctly set
                          compiler and linker flags.
  --enable-64bit          set flags to build in 64-bit mode(only supported on
                          HPUX, SunOS, IRIX, and AIX)

which means the 3.6.1 configure script doesn't automatically build
64-bit mode executables and libraries for Mac OS X, so if you really
need to do this, you will have to specify the compiler flags using the
environment variables CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, and FFLAGS, as descrribed in
the installation guide.  If you just invoke

  ./configure --enable-64bit  && make check install

on Mac OS X, the 64-bit specification will be ignored, but everything
will still build and test correctly, as I have verified.

Were you using the "--enable-64bit" flag to configure?

Can you check that you get the same output we do when running the
configure script?

Are you now getting some compiler error when invoking "make"?  If so,
that's progress from not being able to run the configure script.  If
you're still having problems, please send us information on how you
are invoking the configure script, the output from configure, and the
output from "make check", as described in the installation guide.
Thanks!

--Russ

Ticket ID: FEZ-604468
Department: Support netCDF