Re: new beta release: netcdf-3.6.2-beta4 now available on Unidata FTP site...

Warren Turkal <address@hidden> writes:

> On Saturday 19 August 2006 08:16, you wrote:
>> Yes, gfortran is what I use for development, in fact. No flag need to
>> be set for gfortran to work.
>>
>> I am using gfortran from gcc 4.0.2.
>
> It seems that pgf90 is detected before gfortran. Shouldn't gfortran be
> detected first since it is the free compiler that most people would probably
> use netcdf with?
>
> wt
> --
> Warren Turkal, Research Associate III/Systems Administrator
> Colorado State University, Dept. of Atmospheric Science

Howdy Warren!

Thanks for trying the beta release! Please let me know how it works
for you. As for the preference of compiler, as it says in the netCDF
Installation and Porting Guide (here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Specifying-the-Environment-for-Building.html)

"When finding compilers, vendor compilers will be preferred to GNU
compilers. Not because we don't like GNU, but because we assume if you
purchased a compiler, you want to use it. Setting CC allows you to
over-ride this preference. (Alternatively, you could temporarily
remove the compiler's directories from your PATH.)

For example, on an AIX system, configure will first search for xlc,
the AIX compiler. If not found, it will try gcc, the GNU compiler. To
override this behavior, set CC to gcc (in sh: export CC=gcc). (But
don't forget to also set CXX to g++, or else configure will try and
use xlC, the AIX C++ compiler.)"

Thanks,

Ed Hartnett
--