[netCDF #IQO-210917]: Fortran 90 manpages missing in netcdf 3.6.2 beta3

> >> Furthermore, since man will only find netcdf.3f and netcdf.3f90
> >> when they are in directories man3f and man3f90, it may be wise to add
> >> symbolic links man3f -> man3 and man3f90 -> man3
> >
> > Sorry, I don't follow you here. Could you elaborate?
>
> netcdf.3, netcdf.3f, and netcdf.3f90 all end up in the directory
> $prefix/share/man/man3
>
> If you do "man netcdf" you always get the C manual.
> To get the fortran manual, you can use "man 3f netcdf" or "man 3f90
> netcdf" for the F90 manual.
> But this ONLY works when they are in a directory $prefix/share/man/
> man3f and $prefix/share/man/man3f90, respectively.
>
> So the installation should either make the man pages directly in the
> corresponding directories, or all in man3 and make symbolic links in
> $prefix/share/man:
> man3f -> man3
> man3f90 -> man3
>
> Does that make sense?

Howdy Remko!

On the man pages, we have decided to rename them in accordance with usual
practice, and put them all in the man3 directory (at least, all the library man
pages). So there are now netcdf.3 (the C API), netcdf_f77.3 (the F77 API), and
netcdf_f90.3 (the F90 API). This gets us away from the non-standard use of
man3c and man3f90.

During all this I also noticed that the ncgen and ncdump man pages were also
not being intalled by the beta, and that is now fixed as well. They are
installed in man1.

Let me know if this doesn't work for you in the next beta (or tonight's
distribution, if you are feeling adventerous!)

Thanks!

Ed

Ticket ID: IQO-210917
Department: Support netCDF