[netCDF #MCC-203712]: NetCDF 3.6.2-beta3: Libtool uses -version-info in stead of -version-number

> Dear NetCDF support,
>
> I seem to have spotted an error in the installation of netcdf-3.6.2-
> beta3
>
> In the main Makefile (made from Makefile.in by configure), the
> following variable is set:
>
> libnetcdf_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 3:6:2
>
> This string is passed on the libtool to set the libraries version
> number. However, the "Version number" 3.6.2 is confused here with the
> "Version info" 3:6:2. They are not the same thing.
>
> Version number is (major).(minor).(revision_nr), whereas Version info
> is (current):(revision):(age)
>
> Read, for example, http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/
> autobook_91.html
>
> Since (age) indicates how far backward the library is compatible with
> previous (current) version numbers, the libraries name will become:
> netcdf.((current)-(age)).dylib. Since -version-info 3:6:2 is used,
> we, erroneously, get netcdf.1.dylib, in stead of netcdf.3.dylib.
>
> To get the right version numbering, libtool needs to be called with -
> version-number 3:6:2. Libtool will do the following conversion on
> darwin|linux|osf|windows:
> current = major + minor
> revision = revision_nr
> age = minor
>
> This will again create netcdf.3.dylib, which is what we want.
>
> The arithmetic is different for other platforms, but with the same
> proper result when -version-number is used. Only on freebsd systems "-
> version-info" and "-version-number" have the same result.
>
> I can currently by-pass the problems by specifying
> "libnetcdf_la_LDFLAGS=-version-number 3:6:2" with "make install", but
> this should be fixed in the Makefile.
>
> I hope you agree this is an error in the Makefile and that you fix it
> in a next release.
>
> I'm a very pleased and heavy-duty user of the netCDF. Keep up the
> good work.
>
> Remko
>
> Remko Scharroo -- Altimetrics LLC
> 330a Parsonage Road, Cornish NH 03745, USA
> tel: +1 603 675 2120
> mailto:address@hidden

Howdy Remko!

Thanks for point this out! I was confused about the --version-info flag, and
reading your suggested web page certainly made things more clear.

I've changed it to --version-number everywhere and that will be in the beta4
release.

Thanks, and keep on netCDFing!

Ed Hartnett

Ticket ID: MCC-203712