[netCDF #RCY-208998]: F90 compiler issue

> Dear Developers,
> Iam facing a strange problem while building the nedCDF from scratch, First of
> all any tarball which is 3.6 seris, are giving error like this
>
> csit212 33# ./configure && make test
> configure: netCDF 3.6.1
> checking build system type... /usr/bin/oslevel[7]: /usr/bin/rm_mlcache_file:
> cannot execute
> config.sub: too many arguments
> Try `config.sub --help' for more information.
> configure: error: /bin/sh ./config.sub powerpc-ibm-aixoslevel: Error
> processing cache, return code 126. oslevel: Use the -f flag to rebuild cache.
> failed

This is an error that I think will be fixed by copying the newest config.guess
script into your netcdf directory and trying again:

 http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/config/config/config.guess

> I then found netCDF 3.5.0 and i could configure the same with some erros, and
> these errors are clearly shoing that F90 is missing on IBM AIX PS/2 6000
> platform I am working on.
>
> make test results in
>
> *** Testing nf_set_fill ...
> Total number of failures:  0
> *** Success ***
> Returning to directory /u/csit/akhil/soft/netcdf-3.5.0/src
> Not making `f90/test' because no FORTRAN-90 compiler
> Making `test' in directory /u/csit/akhil/soft/netcdf-3.5.0/src/ncdump
> xlc -c -O -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG ncdump.c
> xlc -c -O -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG vardata.c
> xlc -c -O -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG dumplib.c
> xlc -o ncdump -O  ncdump.o vardata.o dumplib.o ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a
> ../ncgen/ncgen -b test0.cdl
> ../ncgen/ncgen: not found
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
>
> Stop.
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
>
> Stop.
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 2.
>
> Stop.
>

> and in
>
> make install  ....
>
> Target "install" is up to date.
>
> Returning to directory /u/csit/akhil/soft/netcdf-3.5.0/src
>
> Not making `f90/install' because no FORTRAN-90 compiler

You need to do a "make clean" and try again. Your ncgen is supposed to be made
at this point in the build.

> I then tried to use user defied f90 by issuing setenv F90 xlf90_r and
> reconfigured after doing "make distclean", Problem remains the same.

To set the F90 compiler, set the F90 variable before running configure. In sh
or bash:

F90=xlf90_r ./configure

> I request you people to kindly dig out the reason for the same. It would be a
> great deal of help for me.

I suggest you get the config.guess and try it, and use 3.6.1. Set the F90
compiler before the configure, and if everything doesn't work, please send me
the *complete* output of the configure and the make test commands.

Good luck!

Ed Hartnett

Ticket ID: RCY-208998
Department: Support netCDF