[Support #JPH-820450]: Comparing wind datasets in netCDF and MS Excel formats

Camille,

re:
> I would like to compare two wind data sets:
>
> One provided by a platform on the North Sea in the format Excel,
>
> And the other one, in the format NetCDF, provided from the NCEP/NCAR
> Reanalysis Project.
>
> Is there any way to convert Excel to NetCDF

There may be a utility to convert data stored in a form usable by eXcel
(e.g., comma separated fields) to netCDF.  Please review the list of
packages that use netCDF:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
  netCDF HomePage
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/
    Software for manipulating or displaying netCDF data
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/software.html

The other thing you could do is send a note to the address@hidden
email list asking community members if they know of a package that can do
what you want.  In order to post emails to any of the lists that we maintain,
you must first subscribe to the list.

You can (un)subscribe to any Unidata-maintained email list online
at:

If you decide to subscribe to post your message, please wait until
you have received notification of being added to the list before your
post.

> or NetCDF to Excel, is
> there any software for this?

You can use the netCDF utility 'ncdump' to list out the contents of a netCDF
file in ASCII text.  You could then write a script that takes this ASCII
output and reformats it into a comma-separated form that can be imported
into eXcel.

> Thank you,

No worries.  I apologize for taking so long to get back to you.

> Regards,
> Camille Bastide

Ticket ID: JPH-820450
Department: Support