Re: Questions

Hi Michael,

> Also, I can I have more than 1 unlimited dimension?  I don't need that
> but I'm just curious if it is possible (neat trick if you can).

I'm not sure if you got an answer to the above question.

With netCDF-3, you can have only one unlimited dimension per file.
With netCDF-4, you can have multiple unlimited dimensions in a file,
and a single variable may be extended along multiple unlimited
dimensions.  This is possible because netCDF-4 uses the chunked
storage provided by the HDF5 storage layer on which it is implemented.
An alpha release of netCDF-4 is available for the C and Fortran
interfaces, but the real release and a Java release will have to wait
until after HDF-5 1.8 is released, since we depend on some new
HDF-5 features that we requested to support netCDF-4.

--Russ