Re: More about multiple simultaneously open netCDF files

Hi Don,

> I believe I neglected to mention an important detail when I originally
> wrote you about this matter.  I had a statement in the introduction to
> section 5, NetCDF Operations, in the User's Guide pointed out to me:
>
> A single netCDF file may be opened multiple times and will then have
> multiple distinct netCDF IDs; however at most one of the open instances
> of a single netCDF file should permit writing.
>
> Now, this is not my situation; all 200+ files my application wanted to
> have open simultaneously were distinct, separate files.  However, what
> I failed to mention in my earlier mail is that the application
> wanted every one of them open for writing.  I was checking and
> updating attributes, possibly changing variable names, and then
> appending data.  Is there a known problem with writing to several
> simultaneously open netCDF files?

No, we know of no problem with writing to multiple simultaneously open
netCDF files, but if you can provide us with a small test program that
demonstrates such a problem, we'll try to diagnose the problem and fix it.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000