20051222: Extracting data (in ASCII format) from Netcdf format. (cont.)

>From: Peter Msikela <address@hidden>

Hi Peter,

re:
>I have tried ncdump,but it is really dumping both metadata and data on the
>screen.

The default 'ncdump' output does as you say, dump everything.

>What is the best way to pull out the lat,lon,and may precipation or
>wind see the below and save it to a file instead of dumpin to the screen.

>e.g
> LAT          LON      PRECIP
> 37.000    -85.500   0.000
> 37.500    -85.500   0.000
> 38.000    -85.500   0.000
> 38.500    -85.500   0.000
> 39.000    -85.500   0.000
> 39.500    -85.500   0.000
> 40.000    -85.500   0.000
> 40.500    -85.500   0.000
> 41.000    -85.500   0.000
> 41.500    -85.500   0.000
> 42.000    -85.500   0.000

Please check the man page for 'ncdump' for options.  I think you will
want to specify the '-v' flag for the variables you want.  Here is
the snippit from the man page:

UNIDATA UTILITIES                                       NCDUMP(1)

NAME
     ncdump - Convert netCDF files to ASCII form (CDL)

SYNOPSIS
     ncdump [-c] [-h] [-v var1,...]  [-b lang] [-f lang] [-l len]
          [-n name] [-p f_digits[,d_digits]] file

OPTIONS

     -v var1,...,varn
          The output will include data values for  the  specified
          variables,  in  addition to the declarations of all di-
          mensions, variables, and attributes.  One or more vari-
          ables  must be specified by name in the comma-delimited
          list following this option.  The list must be a  single
          argument to the command, hence cannot contain blanks or
          other white space characters.  The named variables must
          be  valid  netCDF variables in the input-file.  The de-
          fault, without this option and in the absence of the -c
          or  -h options, is to include data values for all vari-
          ables in the output.

As far as creating a formated list in just the way you want, you
could either reformat the ncdump output or write your own netcdf
routine to product the output in the manner you want.  Another option
is to check out the various packages that support netCDF:

Where is netCDF used?

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/usage.html

One of the packages referenced there might already do the formatting in
the way that you want.