Re: [Fwd: Re: 20050923: netcdf java problem]

Dov Kruger <address@hidden> writes:

> Perhaps you are fielding too many requests and don't remember.
>
> I originally wrote to you because my code was referring to nf_* and not
> finding it. I used nm and determined that there were no such symbols,
> not that it mangled to the wrong _ convention or some such nonsense. You
> told me that 4.0 was not to be used, so I got the latest 3.6, same
> thing. I now sent you the output to the files to show you that the build
> went smoothly, but somehow the test failed, exactly the same problem.
>
> thanks,
> Dov

No, it's just that I thought it would work for you to get the latest
official release, 3.6.0. But apparently there's still a problem. (The
fortran API was not even included in the early netCDF-4.0 alpha
releases, so if you had one of these, you also would not see the
fortran functions).

I need the full output of configure and make test, not just the part
that looks broken. There is a great deal of diagnostic information in
there, and I won't be able to make much progress on this until I have
it.

What you should do is:

make distclean

Then:

(./configure && make test) &> output.txt

And then send me output.txt. (The above will work for bash, if you use
csh I don't think it will, but just send stdout and stderr to a file,
and send me the file with all the output.

It can be difficult to find the right settings to get netCDF to work,
but the code is extremely portable, and almost any compiler can build
it correctly, if we find the correct settings.

Thanks,

Ed
--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden