Re: new netcdf-4 alpha release...

Harry Mangalam <address@hidden> asked:

> there was some chatter about you (UCAR) rolling the UDUnits lib into
> the netcdf4 lib this time or at least including it in the build
> config, so it was built at the same time.
>
> I was just reminded b/c a recent upgrade of something caused it to
> fail, so I had to rebuild it.  Since it is used by many of the apps
> that use netcdf, it seems to make sense for it to be released with
> the netcdf pkg.

We still plan to merger udunits into netCDF-4, and have a commitment
to add some requested improvements to udunits at the same time, but
the necessary resources haven't been available yet, due to some
unanticipated needs of another Unidata software package.  I'm still
hopeful that we can get the udunits work and integration done in
the first half of 2006.

At last summer's GO-ESSP meeting, I mentioned the plan to merge
udunits into netCDF, and there was actually an objection to our plans,
because udunits was perceived as a frozen package and merging it with
netCDF would bless it in its current frozen state, making it difficult
to later use something better.  So if we're going to merge the two
packages, we really need to add some of the requested improvements to
udunits.

Sorry I can't be more specific about schedules, but I don't know when
the development resources will be available.

--Russ