Re: availablility of alpha version of netcdf-4

Hi Craig,

> We're currently doing testing on bluesky and dataportal, and running our
> model on CU's cluster, Hemisphere.  Do you know if the alpha netcdf-4 is
> already installed for general use on the SCD machines, and what it would
> take for the CU group to install it there?

Although an alpha release is currently available for downloading, it's
not installed on the SCD machines.  I'm not sure how much effort it
would take to install it there.  I would recommend waiting for the
next alpha release, which will be available within the next month.  As
Ed said on the netcdfgroup mailing list this morning:

  For developers of netCDF-4, the thing to do is to download the next
  alpha release, which I will put out (and announce) this month. That
  alpha release will use very few netCDF-4 artifacts in the file, and
  will be very close to the beta.

  The alpha releases can be used to start programming for some of the new
  features, like groups and compound types, but should not be used to
  store any real data.

--Russ