Re: NetCDF 4.0 release (fwd)

Eric,

> Thanks a lot for the information, I appreciate it much.  The main
> feature that I was interested in was the streaming szip compression with a
> C++ interface.  I believe there is a patch for netCDF 3.4.1 (probably
> unsupported) that allows for streaming szip compression with C, but I
> thought I'd seen this feature listed in the NetCDF 4.0 upgrades.  (Please
> correct me if I'm wrong). This isn't available in the alpha version is it?

No, sorry.

HDF5 does support per-variable gzip or szip compression, so it would
be possible for us to take advantage of that, but we currently don't
have a netCDF-4 interface that exploits the HDF5 compression.  This is
something we expect to add in netCDF 4.1.  The schedule for release of
netCDF 4.0 is so uncertain at this time (due to unknown delay for HDF5
1.8.0 that it depends on), that I can't provide an estimate for netCDF
4.1, but if 1.8.0 gets delayed long enough, it might be possible to
get the compression interfaces into netCDF 4.0.

Sorry I can't provide any more definitive information ...

--Russ