Re: NetCDF 4.0 release (fwd)

> Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:59:58 -0400
> From: E. Lyons <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: NetCDF 4.0 release

Hi Eric,

> Just curious if NetCDF 4.0 was still slated for release this
> month (or if not, in August).  Thanks a lot!  -Eric Lyons

I'm not sure if you got an answer or not, but we will not be able to
release netCDF 4.0 until some time after HDF5 1.8.0 is released,
because netCDF 4.0 depends on features of HDF5 that won't be available
until HDF5 version 1.8.0.  HDF5 is developed and maintained by THG,
Inc., a group of developers who were formerly with NCSA.

We had thought HDF5 1.8.0 would be released in beta form soon, but
we've recently learned it has been delayed until at least January
2006.  With this delay, you should not plan on seeing a netCDF 4.0
release until next year.  Sorry about that!  We'll be revising our
web-page schedules to reflect the HDF5 delay soon ...

--Russ