Re: netCDF Fortran (77 + 90) - ld failure for

Jeff,

The funny thing is, I don't have to set any flags for the xlf/xlf90
fortran compilers. But I only have AIX systems, no macs with xlf. I
don't know how cfortran.h figures out my xlf compiler!

cfortran.h is a third party package we use to allow fortran wrappers
to call our C library. We don't maintain cfortran here, we just use
it.

Anyway, if you're curious as to how succuss might look, here's how it
went for me on an AIX:
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/builds/AIX_3_6_0.txt

Let's try the latest beta. It is a little bit smarter at installing
than the 3.6.0 release. Get this file:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-beta.tar.gz

First try it without setting anything and see if it comes up with
correct answers.

If that fails, try setting CPPFLAGS to -DpgiFortran. If *that* doesn't
work, try -Df2cFortran.

Make sure you do a make distclean for each build attempt.

These fortran compile problems are annoying, but almost always can be
resolved by finding the correct settings. NetCDF compiles with many
fortran compilers, including xlf on AIX. So it will work when we find
the right settings. Don't give up!

We've done a lot of work to make netCDF build cleanly right out of the
tarball, but unfortunately we don't have access to every platform that
netCDF needs to build on.

Please let me know the results of trying the beta.

Thanks,

Ed

--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden