Re: 20050323: Compiling the NetCDF for SonOS with parallelization option

Unidata Support <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]

NetCDF tries to select a fortran compiler, but can be overridden. If
you want to compile with mpi90, set FC and maybe FFLAGS. See:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Specifying-the-Environment-for-Building.html

> I obtained the following error:
>
> /apps/mpich-1.2.6/bin/mpif90   -o ../../../bin/opa modele.o
> ../../../lib/libopa.a  ../../../lib/libioipsl.a
> -L/home101/aratsima/netcdf-3.6.0-p1/lib -lnetcdf
> ld: warning: file
> /home101/aratsima/netcdf-3.6.0-p1/lib/libnetcdf.a(fort-attio.o): wrong ELF
> class: ELFCLASS32
> nf_copy_att_                        ../../../lib/libioipsl.a(restcom.o)
> nf_inq_varid_                       ../../../lib/libioipsl.a(flincom.o)
> ... ...
> ... ...
>
> I also tested compiling the NetCDF library using the mpif90 but I obtained
> the same error.

I believe this means that you are trying to link a 64-bit program with
a 32-bit program. For SunOS specific notes, see:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Building-on-64-Bit-Platforms.html

If you want to compile a 64-bit version of netCDF on the Sun, take a
look at:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/builds/SunOS_64_3_6_0.txt

In summary, go to the directory you unpacked netCDF into and:

make distclean

then set the environment flags for you desired fortran compiler
(FC), and then set FFLAGS and CFLAGS to -xarch=v9. In csh, something
like this:

setenv FC mpi90
setenv CFLAGS -xarch=v9
setenv FFLAGS -xarch=v9