Re: setting environment variables in compiler options

>To: address@hidden
>From: Guy Williams <address@hidden>
>Subject: installing NetCDF for Absoft ProFortran 9.0 on Mac OS X

Guy,

> I tried Ed's solution as well, both seem to work.
>
> However, when I go back to my Absoft Tools GUI and
> try to BUILD my code, it successfully compiles and
> then trips over during linking with the same problem
>
> ld: Undefined symbols:
> _NF_CLOSE
>
> ./build/ozpom_NetCDF.o reference to undefined _NF_CLOSE
>
> etc
>
> i suspect i have to compile my code with the appropriate options to
> set the environment variables correctly.
>
> could you tell me how to do this, as my initial attempts have failed
> through inexperience.

If you use Dierk Polzin's solution with the complex compiler options
and patch to cfortran.h, you will also have to compile any application
that uses netCDF with the same compiler option, as pointed out at
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/other-builds.html#absoft-macosx

  WARNING: The above will cause the Fortran-callable routines in the
  netCDF library to be in lower-case symbols with trailing
  underscores; consequently, all packages that use the netCDF library
  will also have to be compiled using the options "-YEXT_NAMES=LCS
  -YEXT_SFX=_".

If you instead use Ed Hartnett's simpler solution, this should not be
necessary, although you may still have to link in utility functions
with "-lU77".  Make sure /Applications/Absoft/bin is in your PATH and
that you also have the environment variable
ABSOFT=/Applications/Absoft set.

--Russ