[unidata.ucar.edu #36] netCDF Fortran (77 + 90) - Intel Fortran 8.0 F90 Bindings C/Fortran type mismatch?

Hi Jesse,

> Package Version: 3.6.0
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware Information: Linux ulysses 2.6.8-24.10-bigsmp #1 SMP Wed Dec
22 11:54:27 UTC 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> Inquiry: There appears to be a problem with mapping the C variable
types to Fortran types...

It appears that there is a problem with your development environment.
I can infer from the config.log file you sent that the output from
configure shows this sort of problem:

  checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"... no
  checking if Fortran "byte" is C "short"... no
  checking if Fortran "byte" is C "int"... no
  checking if Fortran "byte" is C "long"... no
  checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "short"... no
  checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "int"... no
  checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "long"... no
  checking if Fortran "integer" is C "int"... no
  checking if Fortran "integer" is C "long"... no
  checking if Fortran "real" is C "float"... no
  checking if Fortran "real" is C "double"... no
  checking if Fortran "doubleprecision" is C "double"... no
  checking if Fortran "doubleprecision" is C "float"... no

The answers to all the above can't be "no", and the cause is found in
your "config.log" file:

  configure:6248: checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"
  configure:6258: gcc -c -DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran -g -O2 -march=pentium4
conftest.c
  configure:6261: $? = 0
  configure:6264: ifort -g -O2 -mp -recursive -c conftestf.f
  configure:6267: $? = 0
  configure:6270: ifort -o conftest -g -O2 -mp -recursive  conftestf.o
conftest.o
  configure:6273: $? = 0
  configure:6276: ./conftest
  ./conftest: error while loading shared libraries: libimf.so: cannot

This shows that the ifort compiler/linker makes use of the shared
runtime library "libimf.so" and this library can't be found when the
resulting executable is run.

To fix this, you may need to consult the documentation on the ifort(1)
compiler/linker or ask your system administrator.  It could be that
you need to set an environment variable (e.g., LD_LIBRARY_PATH) so
that it references the directory that contains the missing library.

When you try to rebuild the netCDF package, remember to do a "make
distclean" first.
--Russ

address@hidden          http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ