Re: 20050104:netCDF C++ - Memory usage

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Le Ru" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF C++ - Memory usage

Hi Pascal,

> Institution: Capgemini
> Package Version: 3.5
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware Information: .
> Inquiry: I copy data between two NetCDF files using a single buffer (about 5
> Mo).
>
> This part of code is called several times.
> When I watch the amount of memory used during this process, using
> the free command, I can see that an unexpected amount of memory is
> still used afer the copy is completed.
>
> Rational Purify tool doesn\'t detect any memory leak at the end of
> the process.
>
> Is this a known problem ?

The documentation for version 3.5.0 didn't make clear that the caller
is responsible for deleting the memory space returned by
Variable::values() method when no longer needed.

There was also a memory leak in version 3.5.0, fixed in 3.5.1 and
later releases, to make sure NcVar::cur_rec[] gets deleted in the
NcVar destructor.

I don't know of any memory leak problems in the current version 3.6.0.
If you have a small test program that demonstrates a memory problem in
the current version, we would appreciate getting it.

--Russ

address@hidden          http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ