Re: NetCDF and g95

>To: address@hidden
>From: "James Browne" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20041124: NetCDF and g95

Hi Jim,

>     I just tried to compile NetCDF 3.6.0 on a SuSE Linux box using
> GNU g95 as the fortran 90 compiler. The compile ended after seeming
> to go through a list of potential compilers and not finding this
> one. While the compiler is still under development, I am contacting
> you because it looks like you have not included features for
> it. Information on this compiler is located at:
>
>      http://g95.sourceforge.net/
>
>     My compile ended with:
>

> Returning to directory /usr/local/netcdf-3_6_0-beta6/src
>
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/netcdf-3_6_0-beta6/src'
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/netcdf-3_6_0-beta6/src'
>
> Making `all' in directory /usr/local/netcdf-3_6_0-beta6/src/fortran
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/netcdf-3_6_0-beta6/src/fortran'
> cc -c -g -I../libsrc   fort-attio.c
> In file included from ncfortran.h:13,
>                  from fort-attio.c:6:
>
> cfortran.h:135:3: #error "cfortran.h:  Can't find your environment
> among:
> - MIPS cc and f77 2.0. (e.g. Silicon Graphics, DECstations, ...)
> - IBM AIX XL C and FORTRAN Compiler/6000 Version 01.01.0000.0000
> - VAX   VMS CC 3.1 and FORTRAN 5.4.
> - Alpha VMS DEC C 1.3 and DEC FORTRAN 6.0.
> - Alpha OSF DEC C and DEC Fortran for OSF/1 AXP Version 1.2
> - Apollo DomainOS 10.2 (sys5.3) with f77 10.7 and cc 6.7.
> - CRAY
> - NEC SX-4 SUPER-UX
> - CONVEX
> - Sun
> - PowerStation Fortran with Visual C++
> - HP9000s300/s700/s800 Latest test with: HP-UX A.08.07 A 9000/730
> - LynxOS: cc or gcc with f2c.
> - VAXUltrix: vcc,cc or gcc with f2c. gcc or cc with f77.
> -            f77 with vcc works; but missing link magic for f77 I/O.
> -            NO fort. None of gcc, cc or vcc generate required names.
> - f2c    : Use #define    f2cFortran, or cc -Df2cFortran
> - NAG f90: Use #define NAGf90Fortran, or cc -DNAGf90Fortran
> - Absoft UNIX F77: Use #define AbsoftUNIXFortran or cc -DAbsoftUNIXFortran
>
> - Absoft Pro Fortran: Use #define AbsoftProFortran
> - Portland Group Fortran: Use #define pgiFortran"
> make[2]: *** [fort-attio.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/netcdf-3_6_0-beta6/src/fortran'
> make[1]: *** [subdir_target] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/netcdf-3_6_0-beta6/src'
> make: *** [fortran/all] Error 2
>

> I hope that this is a help.

Thanks for the information.  These messages came from cfortran.h,

 http://wwwasd.web.cern.ch/wwwasd/cernlib/cfortran.html

which we use for calling the C netCDF library from Fortran.

We did not develop and don't have the resources to maintain
cfortran.h, so we're hoping its developer or others in the open source
community continue to update it for new compilers and development
environments.  The next Fortran standard is supposed to include a
standard way to call C from Fortran, which will eliminate the
necessity for solutions like cfortran.h when/if everyone implements
the standard.  We'll keep incorporating the latest version of
cfortran.h in our netCDF distribution.

--Russ

address@hidden          http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ