Date:    Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:01:29 +0100
From:    <address@hidden>To:      Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: netcdf-3_6_0-beta6 question

Hello Steve,

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving...

Just a quick update: I found one major problem, and that is I had *2*
versions of the gnu fortran (g77) compiler floating around, one that I
had downloaded explicitly for use with Windows from an individual's
website, and another that subsequently came implicitly bundled with
cygwin. Since both executables were accessible due to the path
settings, I think my netcdf-3_6_0-beta6 build was getting confused.
Anyway, long story short, I got rid of the first version I downloaded,
redid the build with the cygwin version..and am happy to report that
everything appears to work just fine.

However...I would still like to try to make the fortran 90 build with
the Salford compiler I have. The test part of the make chokes, as per
this excerpt from the test log:
---
Making `test' in directory /cygdrive/c/netcdf/netcdf-3_6_0-
beta6/src/f90

make[2]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/netcdf/netcdf-3_6_0-
beta6/src/f90'
ftn95 -o netcdf_test   netcdf_test.f90 netcdf.o
typeSizes.o ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a
[FTN95/Win32 Ver. 4.6.0 Copyright (C) Salford Software Ltd 1993-2004]

     Licensed to:  Personal Edition User

*** More than one source file specified

    1 ERROR [netcdf_test] - Compilation failed.

make[2]: *** [netcdf_test] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/netcdf/netcdf-3_6_0-
beta6/src/f90'
make[1]: *** [subdir_target] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/netcdf/netcdf-3_6_0-beta6/src'
make: *** [f90/test] Error 2
---

This compiler does not use conventional switches, and in particular
does not recognize the '-o' flag. It thus thinks two source files are
being named ('netcdf_test' and 'netcdf_test.f90'), and stops dead.
Plus, the linking is handled differently. As best I can tell based on
the help materials supplied with the compiler, the compile line should
look like this:

ftn95 netcdf_test.f90 /link netcdf_test /library netcdf.obj
typeSizes.obj ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a

Note the insistance on '.obj' extensions.

So, can you tell me where and how I can modify the make files to
execute the compile with this syntax?

Thanks and best regards,
Doug