Re: No rule to make target '../VERSION', needed by 'libvers.o'. Stop.

Guangming Zheng,

> I didn't run "make all", but I did run "mak test", the output was
> exactly the same with that when I run "make install".
>
> How did this happen?
>
> Sincerely,
> Guangming Zheng
>
> Russ Rew <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Guangming Zheng,
>
> > I tried to install netCDF on my RedHat 7.3 Linux system, the steps taken
> > are as follows:
> >
> > export CC=/usr/bin/gcc
> > export CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran
> > export FC=/usr/bin/g77
> > export FFLAGS=-Wno-globals
> > export CXX=/usr/bin/g++
> > cd /usr/local/src
> >
> > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/src
> >
> > make install
>
> Try
>
> make all
>
> and
>
> make test
>
> first, before
>
> make install

Sorry, but I don't know how else this could happen unless the VERSION
file was somehow renamed, moved, or deleted from your distribution.

If you still can't get it to work, you might try the latest beta
release, which has a simplified configure system that usually doesn't
require setting any environment variables:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-beta.tar.gz

You can also get binary installations of netCDF for Linux in RPM form (for
RedHat and similar systems).  For example search for "netcdf" at:

  http://rpm.pbone.net/

--Russ