20040822: still the problem need help

>From: =?gb2312?q?Grant=20He?= <address@hidden>

Hi Grant,

>I am very grateful for getting your advice about
>netcdf-3.5.1 and F90 compiler. But I still can't solve
>the problem. After the command "make distclean", I
>executed the following:
>
>F90=/usr/pgi/linux86/5.0/bin/pgf90
>
>(Maybe the statement is wrong?)

The syntax may be incorrect depending on the shell you work in.  The
way you set an environment variable depends on the Unix shell you are
using.  If you work in the C shell, the syntax would be:

setenv F90 /usr/pgi/linux86/5.0/bin/pgf90

If, on the other hand, you are working in the Bourne, Korn, bash, etc.
shells, the syntax would be:

F90=/usr/pgi/linux86/5.0/bin/pgf90
export F90

To check the environment variable settings, use the 'env' command:

env

Look for the definition of all variables used by 'configure' (CC, CFLAGS,
CPPFLAGS, FC, FFLAGS, F90, CXX) and verify that they are what you
think they should be.  The other thing I recommend is making sure that
the directory(ies) containing the compilers you want to use are in
your PATH.

>Then I executed "./configure", but the result seems the same.
>
>Here is the content of the file "config.log":
>
>This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
>running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes
>a mistake.
>

>configure:928: checking for top-level source-directory
>configure:938: checking for m4 preprocessor
>configure:945: checking for m4
>configure:1012: checking m4 flags
>configure:1040: checking for xlc
>configure:1040: checking for c89
>configure:1085: checking C compiler "c89"
>configure:1094: c89 -c -O -DNDEBUG conftest.c 1>&5
>configure:1121: checking how to make dependencies
>configure:1189: checking for CC
>configure:1189: checking for cxx
>configure:1189: checking for c++
>configure:1225: checking C++ compiler "c++"
>configure:1243: c++ -o conftest  -DNDEBUG  conftest.C
>1>&5
>configure:1294: checking how to run the C preprocessor
>configure:1315: c89 -E -DNDEBUG conftest.c >/dev/null
>2>conftest.out
>configure:1475: checking for f77
>configure:1516: f77 -c  conftest.f
>configure:1548: checking for Fortran .F compiler
>configure:1558: checking if Fortran-77 compiler
>handles *.F files
>configure:1569: f77 -o conftest  conftest.F
>configure:1638: checking "f77" as Fortran-90 compiler
>configure:1640: f77 -o conftest  conftest.f90
>/usr/bin/ld:conftest.f90: file format not recognized;
>treating as linker script
>/usr/bin/ld:conftest.f90:1: parse error

This shows that the environment variable definition for F90 is
not being used.  My first suspicion is that you are working in
the C shell (or Tcsh); my second is that you did not 'export'
the definition.

>Thanks!

No worries,

>From address@hidden  Tue Aug 24 11:11:29 2004

Hi, Tom,

I am very delighted that the problem is solved by your
help. You are right; I didn't executed "export F90".
Now after the command "export F90", the output of
"./configure" doesn't show error again.

Thank you very much for your help!

--Grant Hertz--