20040816: help with netcdf installation (cont.)

>From: Cathryn Meyer <address@hidden>

Hi Cathryn,

>I have downloaded and installed the netcdf version 3.5.1.  This fixed my
>previous problem and created a new one.  Now when I run the configure
>commands shown here:

>setenv CC /usr/bin/gcc
>setenv CPPFLAGS "-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran"
>setenv CPFLAGS -O
>setenv FC /usr/pgi/linux86/bin/pgf90
>setenv FFLAGS "-O"
>setenv CXX /usr/bin/g++
>make distclean
>./configure
>gmake
>
>I get the following output:
>

>creating cache ./config.cache
>checking for top-level source-directory
>/home/ccm33/netcdf-3.5.1/src
>checking for m4 preprocessor
>checking for m4... m4
>checking m4 flags... -B10000
>checking C compiler "/usr/bin/gcc"... works
>checking how to make dependencies... false
>checking for /usr/bin/g++... /usr/bin/g++
>checking C++ compiler "/usr/bin/g++"... works
>checking how to run the C preprocessor... /usr/bin/gcc -E
>checking user-defined Fortran-77 compiler
>"/usr/pgi/linux86/bin/pgf90"... failed to compile test program
>configure: warning: The Fortran-77 interface will not be built

This says that your pgf90 compiler failed the Fortran test program.
In order to figure out exactly what happened, we will need to see
the contents of 'config.log'.

>Which shows that there is now a problem with the PGF90 compiler.  When I
>then try to run gmake, I get the following:
>
>Returning to directory /home/ccm33/netcdf-3.5.1/src
>
>gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ccm33/netcdf-3.5.1/src'
>Not making `fortran/all' because no FORTRAN compiler
>Not making `f90/all' because no FORTRAN-90 compiler

Right.  Since your ptf90 compiler failed the 'configure' test program,
the Makefile was created to not build the Fortran interface.

>So now why can it not find my Fortran-90 compiler?

It found the compiler, but the compiler failed the compilation test.
Again, we need to see the contents of 'config.log' in order to determine
why the test was failed.

>I specified PGF90 in
>the correct directory, however it seems to have assumed that that was my
>fortran-77 compiler instead.

You specified it as a non-Fortran-90 compiler by defining the environment
variable FC:

setenv CC /usr/bin/gcc
setenv CPPFLAGS "-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran"
setenv CPFLAGS -O
setenv FC /usr/pgi/linux86/bin/pgf90
setenv FFLAGS "-O"
setenv CXX /usr/bin/g++

If pgf90 can only be used as a Fortran-90 compiler, you would want to
specify the F90 environment variable, not FC:

setenv CC /usr/bin/gcc
setenv CPPFLAGS "-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran"
setenv CPFLAGS -O
setenv FC ""