20040816: help with netcdf installation

>From: Cathryn Meyer <address@hidden>

Hi Cathryn,

>I am trying to rebuild my netcdf library (netcdf version 3.5.0) using
>pgf90 on my linux machine.  I need to do this in order to run the NCAR
>CAM3.0 model (I need to get rid of the double underscores in the netcdf
>library).

I noticed from the configure listing you sent that you did not run
'make distclean' to start from scratch:

Since there is always the chance that your current settings are
not the same as when you built before, it is best to not use the
cached settings in 'config.cache'.

>I am using the commands:

>setenv CC /usr/bin/gcc
>setenv CPPFLAGS "-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran"
>setenv CPFLAGS -O
>setenv FC /usr/pgi/linux86/bin/pgf90
>setenv FFLAGS "-O"
>setenv CXX /usr/bin/g++
>./configure
>gmake

This looks OK, but I would change the sequence to:

setenv CC /usr/bin/gcc
setenv CPPFLAGS "-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran"
setenv CPFLAGS -O
setenv FC /usr/pgi/linux86/bin/pgf90
setenv FFLAGS "-O"
setenv CXX /usr/bin/g++
make distclean
./configure

>The configure command gives this output:

>checking for top-level source-directory
>/usr/local/GMT/netcdf-3.5.0/src

>configure: warning: Empty CXX variable
>configure: warning: The C++ interface will not be built

Note that configure is telling you that CXX is empty.  It is
most likely that the first time you ran configure you had CXX
set to a blank:

setenv CXX ""

>The gmake command gives the following error:
>
>gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/GMT/netcdf-3.5.0/src'
>Not making `cxx/all' because no C++ compiler

This is because the value of CXX was cached in 'config.cache'.

>Do you know what could be causing this error?  g++, pgf90, and gcc are
>all installed in the directories as listed above.

I think that the 'make distclean' will get you past this.

HOWEVER, I must quickly add that there were known problems building the
C++ interface using newer releases of gcc/g++.  Because of this, I
strongly recommend that you download the latest netCDF release using
anonymous FTP from our FTP server, ftp.unidata.ucar.edu:

machine:   ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
user:      anonymous
pass:      address@hidden
directory: pub/netcdf
file:      netcdf-3.5.1.tar.Z

>Thanks,

No worries.

>Cathy
>--
>Cathryn Meyer
>Department of Geology and Geophysics
>Yale University
>address@hidden
>(203)432-1959

Please let us know if you have problems building the 3.5.1 netCDF
distribution.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas