20040723: netCDF General - SUSE 9.1 - I\'m new, please help with configure script can\'t find compilers

>From: "Len" <address@hidden>

Len,

>Institution: ADEQ
>Package Version: 3.5.1
>Operating System: SUSE 9.1
>Hardware Information: X86
>Inquiry: I keep getting the error for all the compilers, that the configure
>script cannot find them.

Unless compilers are installed in "standard" locations, the configure script
will not be able to find them.

>I recently installed the portland group workstation, so I am not sure why the
>script can\'t find them.
>Is there something missing? am I supposed to set any special environment
>variables?

There are environment variables you should set _before_ running
configure.  Please review the examples in the

Unidata HomePage
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/
  netCDF HomePage
  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/index.html

Installation instructions
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html

Setting Environment Variables
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html#SetEnvVar

You will need to wipe out the results of the previous configure runs.
If you got to the point of creating a Makefile, you will be able to
run:

make distclean

If not, you will need to manually remove a couple of files:

config.log
config.status

After things have been cleaned-up and the necessary environment variables
have been defined, start the build process again:

./configure
make
make install

Please let us know if you continue to have problems.

> [...]
>/root/cmaq/netcdf-3.5.1/src
>checking for m4 preprocessor
>checking for m4... no
>checking for gm4... no
>checking m4 flags... -B10000
>checking C compiler \"pgcc\"... works
>checking how to make dependencies... false
>checking for CC... no
>checking for cxx... no
>checking for c++... no
>checking for g++... no
>checking for gcc... no
>configure: warning: Could not find working C++ compiler
>configure: warning: Setting CXX to the empty string
>configure: warning: The C++ interface will not be built
>checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) /lib/cpp
>checking for f77... no
>checking for fort77... no
>checking for g77... no
>configure: warning: Could not find working Fortran-77 compiler
>configure: warning: The Fortran-77 interface will not be built
>checking for Fortran .F compiler...
>checking for Fortran preprocessor... /lib/cpp
>checking \"\" as Fortran-90 compiler... failed to build test program
>checking for xlf90... no
>checking for f90... no
>configure: warning: Could not find working Fortran-90 compiler
>configure: warning: The Fortran-90 interface will not be built
>checking for nm utility
>checking for nm... (cached) nm
>checking nm flags...
>checking for math library
>checking for tanh in -lc... (cached) no
>checking for tanh in -lm... (cached) no
>checking for ar utility
>checking for ar... (cached) ar
>checking ar flags... cru
>checking for nm utility
>checking for nm... (cached) nm
>checking nm flags...
>checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
>checking for stdlib.h... (cached) no
>checking for sys/types.h... (cached) no
>checking for strerror... (cached) no
>checking for working ftruncate()... no
>checking for working alloca.h... (cached) no
>checking for alloca... (cached) no
>checking whether alloca needs Cray hooks... (cached) no
>checking stack direction for C alloca... (cached) -1
>checking for st_blksize in struct stat... (cached) no
>checking for IEEE floating point format... no
>checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) no
>checking for size_t... (cached) no
>checking for off_t... (cached) no
>checking for ssize_t... (cached) no
>checking for ptrdiff_t... (cached) no
>checking for uchar... (cached) no
>checking whether char is unsigned... (cached) no
>checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... (cached) yes
>checking size of short... (cached) 0
>checking size of int... (cached) 0
>checking size of long... (cached) 0
>checking size of float... (cached) 0
>checking size of double... (cached) 0
>checking size of off_t... (cached) 0
>checking size of size_t... (cached) 0
>checking for manual-page index command...
>checking binary distribution directory... /home/ftp/pub/binary/dummy_system

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas