20040622: netCDF for Window XP

>From: Hero <address@hidden>

John,

>Hi, I am a new user and could you please tell me
>how I can find netCDF in Window XP version?
>Thanks a lot!

Please see:

Unidata HomePage
http://my.unidata.uar.edu

  netCDF HomePage
  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/index.html
    Documentation
    Frequently Asked Questions
    http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/faq.html

    Platforms and Portability
    Is netCDF available for Windows?
    http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/faq.html#win

>From address@hidden  Tue Jun 22 21:01:42 2004

>Hi, can I install netCDF on SunOS 5.9?
>Thanks a lot!

Yes.

>From address@hidden  Tue Jun 22 21:06:37 2004

>Hello,
>
>While running ./configure on SunOS 5.9,
>it stopped running and jumped the following
>error message:
>
> /home/chengj/NetCDF/netcdf-3.5.1/src <66>%
>./configure
>checking for top-level source-directory
>/home/chengj/NetCDF/netcdf-3.5.1/src
>checking for m4 preprocessor
>checking for m4... no
>checking for gm4... gm4
>checking m4 flags... -B10000
>checking for xlc... no
>checking for c89... c89
>checking C compiler "c89"... works
>checking how to make dependencies... cc -xM
>checking for CC... CC
>checking C++ compiler "CC"... works
>checking how to run the C preprocessor... c89 -E
>checking for f77... f77
>checking for Fortran .F compiler...
>checking if Fortran-77 compiler handles *.F files...
>yes
>checking "f77" as Fortran-90 compiler... failed to
>build test program
>checking for xlf90... no
>checking for f90... f90
>checking Fortran-90 compiler "f90"... works
>checking for nm utility
>checking for nm... no
>checking nm flags...
>checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"...
>./configure: nm: not found
>configure: error: not found
>

>Please help me out!
>Thank you very much!

The second to last line defines the error:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/faq.html#win

'configure' is looking for the application 'nm', but can't find
it.  This means that you do not have the directory in which 'nm'
should be found on your Solaris 5.9 system defined in your PATH.
'nm' should be found in the /usr/ccs/bin directory on your system:

% uname -a
SunOS zero.unidata.ucar.edu 5.9 Generic_112233-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4

% which nm
/usr/ccs/bin/nm

So, add this directory to your PATH and rerun 'configure'.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas