20040622: Installation Problem of netCDF package

Matthew,

>Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:03:50 -0400 (EDT)
>From: address@hidden
>To: "Steve Emmerson" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20040617: Installation Problem of netCDF package

> I am still having some troubles.  I made the changes that you requested
> but when I reach step #9 (make install) I seem to still be getting an
> error.  I am attaching all of the required information again and hopefull=
> you can help me finally get this sorted out.
>
> > A. Linux nowshell.pas.rochester.edu 2.4.20-30.9 #1 Wed Feb 4 20:45:39 E=
> ST
> > 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
> >
> > B. 3.5.1
> >
> > C. 'macros.make' is attached
> > D. 'Absolute pathnames' is attached
> > E. 'configure.log' is attached
> > F. 'config.log' is attached
> > G. 'make.log' is attached
>
> 'install.log' and 'test.log' are also attached.

The file "install.log" contains the following:

    Making `install' in directory /home/macwillm/netcdf-3.5.1/src/libsrc

    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/macwillm/netcdf-3.5.1/src/libsrc'
    test -d .../lib || mkdir .../lib
    mkdir: cannot create directory `.../lib': No such file or directory

The directory ".../lib" couldn't be created because the relative
pathname contains one too may periods.

The file "macros.make" contains the following:

    prefix              = ...

"prefix" is the root of the installation directory hierarchy (it will
contain the installation directories "bin", "lib", etc.).  The relative
patname value contains one too many periods.  This could happen if, for
example, the configure script was invoked as

    ./configure --prefix=...

Please tell me if this is not the case; otherwise, please do the
following:

    1.  Performs steps 2 through 5, described at

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

    2.  Execute the configure script as described in step 6 at the above
        URL.  Because the default value for the "-prefix" option is
        "..", it is not necessary to specify this option if that is the
        intended root of your installation (as it appears to be).

    3.  Performs steps 7 through 9, described at the above URL.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson