20040611: Installation Problem of netCDF package

Matthew,

> To: address@hidden
> cc: address@hidden
> From: address@hidden
> Subject: Installation Problem of netCDF package

> Hello, my name is Matthew MacWilliams and I am currently performing
> research in which I require the use of the netCDF package.  I am having a
> bit of trouble [can not find my environment in listed environments]
> installing it and was hoping that you might be able to help.  I have
> followed the list of information which you require to discover any
> problems and have attached all of the necessary files to this email.
>
> A. Linux nowshell.pas.rochester.edu 2.4.20-30.9 #1 Wed Feb 4 20:45:39 EST
> 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
> B. 3.5.1
>
> C. 'macros.make' is attached
> D. 'Absolute pathnames' is attached
> E. 'configure.log' is attached
> F. 'config.log' is attached
> G. 'make.log' is attached

The very end of the "make.log" file looked like this:

    Making `all' in directory /home/macwillm/netcdf-3.5.1/src/fortran

    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/macwillm/netcdf-3.5.1/src/fortran'
    c89 -c -O -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG fort-attio.c
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/macwillm/netcdf-3.5.1/src/fortran'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/macwillm/netcdf-3.5.1/src'

There should have been a lot more.  I suspect that the standard error
stream wasn't redirected to the file "make.log" and so we're not seeing
the error messages that caused the build to prematurely terminate.  I
need to see those messages in order to diagnose the problem.

Please do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source-directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 9 described at

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

        Because you're on a Linux system and using the c89 and f77
        compilers, be sure to define the C macro "f2cFortran" in the
        CPPFLAGS environment variable.  Examples of this can be found in
        the "Linux" example at the above URL.

        When redirecting the standard output and standard error streams
        to a file, be sure to use a syntax like one of the following
        (depending on your user-shell):

            Standard Shells (e.g., sh(1), bash(1), ksh(1)):

                make >make.log 2>&1

            csh-like Shells (e.g., csh(1), tcsh(1)):

                make >&! make.log

> Thank you for your time.
>
> Matthew MacWilliams
> University of Rochester NY