20040525: building netCDF package under Linux using gcc & ifort

Ian,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Ian Rutt <address@hidden>
> Subject: Problems compiling NetCDF library

> I've been having problems compiling the NetCDF library. It fails at the
> 'make' stage, and I'm really not sure how to solve the problem.
>
> I run configure with --prefix=/usr/netcdf-3.5.1
>
> I have CC=gcc, CXX=g++, FC=ifort and FCC=ifort.

The build procedure doesn't use the environment variable FCC.  I assume,
therefore, that you meant the environment variable F90.

> The paths for these compilers are:
>
> /usr/local/bin/gcc
> /usr/local/bin/g++
> /opt/intel_fc_80/bin/ifort
>
> The output of uname -a is:
>
> Linux linux 2.4.21-215-default #1 Tue Apr 27 01:00:43 UTC 2004 i686 i686
> i386 GNU/Linux
>
> The other diagnostics files are attached.
>
> I'd be grateful for any help you can give.

The "make.log" file shows the following error (after reformatting):

    Making `all' in directory /home/ggicr/downloads/netcdf-3.5.1/src/fortran

    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ggicr/downloads/netcdf-3.5.1/src/fortran'
    gcc -c -O -I../libsrc   fort-attio.c
    In file included from ncfortran.h:13,
                     from fort-attio.c:6:
    cfortran.h:134:3: #error "cfortran.h:  Can't find your environment among:
        - MIPS cc and f77 2.0. (e.g. Silicon Graphics, DECstations, ...)
        - IBM AIX XL C and FORTRAN Compiler/6000 Version 01.01.0000.0000
        - VAX   VMS CC 3.1 and FORTRAN 5.4.
        - Alpha VMS DEC C 1.3 and DEC FORTRAN 6.0.
        - Alpha OSF DEC C and DEC Fortran for OSF/1 AXP Version 1.2
        - Apollo DomainOS 10.2 (sys5.3) with f77 10.7 and cc 6.7.
        - CRAY
        - NEC SX-4 SUPER-UX
        - CONVEX
        - Sun
        - PowerStation Fortran with Visual C++

        - HP9000s300/s700/s800 Latest test with: HP-UX A.08.07 A 9000/730
        - LynxOS: cc or gcc with f2c.
        - VAXUltrix: vcc,cc or gcc with f2c. gcc or cc with f77.
        - f77 with vcc works; but missing link magic for f77 I/O.
        - NO fort. None of gcc, cc or vcc generate required names.
        - f2c    : Use #define    f2cFortran, or cc -Df2cFortran
        - NAG f90: Use #define NAGf90Fortran, or cc -DNAGf90Fortran
        - Absoft UNIX F77: Use #define AbsoftUNIXFortran or cc
-DAbsoftUNIXFortran
        - Absoft Pro Fortran: Use #define AbsoftProFortran
        - Portland Group Fortran: Use #define pgiFortran"
    make[2]: *** [fort-attio.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ggicr/downloads/netcdf-3.5.1/src/fortran'
    make[1]: *** [subdir_target] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ggicr/downloads/netcdf-3.5.1/src'
    make: *** [fortran/all] Error 2

You need to define in the environment variable CPPFLAGS the C macro that
tells the C compiler what Fortran calling-conventions to use when it
compiles the C functions that constitute the Fortran interface.  In your
case, the C macro that needs to be defined is "pgiFortran".

Please try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source-directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 and 4 described at

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

    3.  Set the following environment variables to the indicated values:

            CC=gcc
            CPPFLAGS="-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran"
            CFLAGS=-O
            FC=ifort
            FLIBS=-Vaxlib
            FFLAGS="-O -mp -cm -w95"

        NOTES:

            A.  How this is done will depend on your user-shell.

            B.  The above settings are based on

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/other-builds.html#intel-ifc%203.5.1-beta13

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 described at

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

Please let me know if this helps.

> Thanks very much,
>
> Ian Rutt

> Dr Ian Rutt
> School of Geographical Sciences, University of Bristol.
> address@hidden

Regards,
Steve Emmerson