20040421: installing NetCDF-3.5.1: few questions

>From: Arindam Ghosh <address@hidden>

Arindam,

>it's Arindam from Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta, India. I'm
>trying to insatall NetCDF-3.5.1 on linux 9. I'm totally new in this
>field, just reading the INSTALL.html and trying to istall it. I've many
>confusions:
>
>1) where should I install the package? is there any specific path?

You can install the package anywhere you like.  There is no specific
location that it should be installed, but you may want to consider
installing it in a location that is logical for your site -- assuming
that you are going to be doing program development that links against
the netCDF library.

>I run the configure from urs1/home/guest/Netcdf-3.5.1/src/ by using
>
>     ./configure --prefix=..
>
>then run 'make','make install', 'make test'. Now I'm confused what else
>I've to do?

Nothing really.  What were your expectations?

>2) how should I know that it has been install proparely?
>please help me in solving this problem.

You would get an error if the installation step failed.  Did you get
any errors?  If no, it was installed correctly.

>Looking forward for your kind reply,

Please let us know if the above answers are not what you were looking
for.

>With regards,
>Arindam
>--
>Arindam Ghosh
>Senior Research Fellow
>Electronics and Communication Sciences Unit
>Indian Statistical Institute,203, B.T. Road
>Calcutta:700108,West Bengal, India

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas