Re: 20040421: help for installing netcdf

>To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>From: "Ze Wang" <address@hidden>
>Subject: help for installing

Hi Ze Wang,

>      I met problems when installing the latest version of netcdf (I can't
> install 3.5 also).
>      I copied the information according to your website, please
>      check what's wrong for me. Thank you very much.
>

>      uname -a
> Linux moco 2.4.20-8smp #1 SMP Thu Mar 13 17:45:54 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386
> GNU/Linux
> 3.5.1
> cc is /usr/bin/cc
> gcc is /usr/bin/gcc
> gcc is /usr/local/bin/gcc
> f77 is /usr/bin/f77

From the configure.log you sent with the output from running the
configure script, I see a problem:

> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for top-level source-directory
> /jet/zwang/othersoft/netcdf-3.5.1/src
> checking for m4 preprocessor
> checking for m4... m4
> checking m4 flags... -B10000
> checking C compiler "/opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89"... failed to compile test program

You must have set the environment variable CC, which is supposed to
specify which C compiler to use if you don't want to accept the
default.  From the above, it appears that you have set
CC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89, a compiler which probably doesn't exist on
your Linux system.  Similarly, later for the Fortran compiler:

> checking user-defined Fortran-77 compiler "/opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77"... failed
> to compile test program
> configure: warning: The Fortran-77 interface will not be built

you must have set FC to "/opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77", which doesn't exist
on your Linux platform.

I suggest you remove the config.cache file, run "make clean", and
start over with environment variable settings appropriate for a Linux
system, as described in the INSTALL documentation at:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html

and in particular one of the tested Linux settings from:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html#linux

If there are still problems, please let us know, at
address@hidden.

--Russ

address@hidden          http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ