Re: 20040207: NETCDF-4 for Java ?

>To: <address@hidden>
>From: "Alain MARI" <address@hidden>
>Subject: NETCDF-4 for Java ?

Hi Alain,

> So far, I think only NETCDF-2 is available for Java .
> Is it planned to adapt the NETCDF-3 (ou NETCDF-4) C interface to Java ?

No, actually the "NetCDF for Java (version 2)" interface has almost
nothing to do with the old version 2 of the C and Fortran interfaces,
it's just the version numbers that are confusing.  The current Java
interface (version 2.1) is a rewrite of an earlier experimental Java
interface (version 1).  The current Java interface supports not only
all the functionality of the netCDF-3 Fortran, C, and C++ interfaces,
but other advanced capabilities that are not yet available in any
other language interface, including:

  - access to subsets of data on remote servers through either OPeNDAP
    (DODS) protocols or HTTP protocols
  - access to "virtual datasets" specified in NcML (an XML
    representation for netCDF data)
  - support for general coordinate systems
  - aggregation of netCDF files using NcML

NetCDF-4 data that uses HDF5 for its storage layer is not yet
supported in the Java version 2 interface yet, but it's also not yet
supported for C or Fortran.  We expect to be able to support netCDF-4
capabilities from C and Fortran-90 by June 2005, and we plan to try to
provide Java support for HDF5 files written through the netCDF-4
interfaces as well,

--Russ