20031125: Win2K, command line utilities to read/write netcdf (cont.)

>From: "Dave Whiteman - NASA/GSFC" <address@hidden>

Dave,

We just got an announcement of a new release of the NCO package from
Charlie Zender:

  From: Charlie Zender <address@hidden>
  To: NCO Annnounce <address@hidden>,
     netCDF Mail List  <address@hidden>
  Subject: netCDF operators NCO 2.8.4 available, important bugfix
  Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:22:26 -0800

  Hi,

  The netCDF operators NCO version 2.8.4 are ready.

  http://nco.sf.net (Homepage)
  http://dust.ess.uci.edu/nco (Homepage "mirror")

  This release fixes index-based hyperslabbing which broke in 2.7.3.
  This nasty bug caused index-based hyperslabs, e.g., -d lat,1, to
  behave like value-based hyperslabs, e.g., -d lat,1.0 under some
  conditions.
  Unfortunately, the incorrect answers generated may be hard to notice!
  _Versions 2.7.3--2.8.3 are buggy and should be upgraded ASAP_.
  Re-do any data-processing that used index-based hyperslabbing with
  these versions of NCO.

  Thanks to Mike Page for reporting the bug and to Rorik for fixing it.

  User's of ncap and AMD Opteron owners will notice other improvements.

  Enjoy,
  Charlie

  Bug-fixes:
  1. Index-based hyperslabbing works again (broke in 2.7.3)

  Feature changes:
  1. Build support for AMD Opteron.
  Compile netCDF with CFLAGS='-fPIC' or link fails.

  Other user-visible changes:
  1. Better memory related diagnostics
  2. Detail ncap memory usage in manual

  User-invisible changes:
  1. Test suite rewritten in perl (nco_tst.pl). Gracias Rorik.
  2. Reduced peak ncap memory usage to 2*sizeof(var) in binary
     operations (merci beaucoups, Henri).

  --
  Charlie Zender, zender at uci dot edu, (949) 824-2987, Department of
  Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine CA 92697-3100

Since the NCO operators run on Windows (among a wide range of Unix
systems), I thought they might be useful to you.  The first thing
I would do if I were you would be to review the information
in the NCO homepage:

http://nco.sf.net

I hope that this helps...

>From address@hidden Tue Nov 25 16:59:05 2003

Thanks for the help, Tom.  I'll check into it.