20030924: netcdf installation problem

Florence,

> To: <address@hidden>
> From: "Florence Troude" <address@hidden>
> Subject: netcdf installation problem

> I don't manage to install netcdf-3.5.0 on my linux machine (Red Hat 8).
>
> please find below installation reports as indicated in the install.html
> file.
>
> hope you can help me !

I am certain that I can.

> many thanks in advance.
>
> Florence
>
> -------------------------------------
> Dr Florence Troude
> COPARLY
> rue des Frères Lumières
> Parc d'Affaires Roosevelt
> F-69120 Vaulx en Velin
> tel. +33 4 72 14 54 45
>
> nos réf. COP.03_1947
>
> A The standard output of the command "uname -a":
>
> Linux etul-ft 2.4.18-14 #1 Wed Sep 4 13:35:50 EDT 2002 i686 i686 i386
> GNU/Linux

I have built the netCDF package on Linux 2.4.18 systems, so this
possible.

> B The contents of the file VERSION, which is in the top-level source
> directory:
>
> 3.5.0

Bon.

> C The absolute pathnames of all compilers (C, Fortran, C++) used in the
> build process (use the type(1) or which(1) utility to determine this :
>
> /usr/bin/gcc
>
> /usr/bin/f77
>
> /usr/bin/c++

Bon.

> D The file "configure.log" from step 6 above :
> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"...
>
> on screen during "configure" :
>
> configure: warning: /usr/bin/c++ failed on test program
>
> configure: warning: Could not find working C++ compiler
>
> configure: warning: Setting CXX to the empty string
>
> configure: warning: The C++ interface will not be built
>
> configure: warning: The Fortran-90 interface will not be built
>
> configure: error: Could not compile conftest.c

The last error message above indicates a serious problem.  The reason
should be in the file "config.log" (not "configure.log") which is
described near the end of the file INSTALL.html.  Would you please send
me the file "config.log".

Regards,
Steve Emmerson