20030902: Compiling netcdf on linuxx86-64

Jeff,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Jeff Johnson <address@hidden>
> Subject: Compiling netcdf on linuxx86-64?

>       Can you refer me to any FAQs on compiling netcdf on linux86-64 (AMD
> Opteron)? I have viewed the posted FAQs and INSTALL documents but cannot
> find any references.

Another good resource is the netCDF user-support email archive at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/ghnetcdf.html

The query-syntax is uncommon.

>       I am having difficulties getting netcdf 3.5.0 compiled on Suse Advanced
> server (Linux dhcp-227 2.4.19-SMP #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 15:58:51 UTC 2003
> x86_64 unknown). I have tried using GNU compilers, PGI compilers and a
> combination of the two.
>
>       The problem is that the configure process will not find a working c++
> or f77 compliers. It also complains about the f90 not being found. I
> have specified each of these compliers as environment variables. I have
> also tried the LD_LIBRARY_PATH workaround shown for gcc3.
>
> Any assistance is appreciated.

The netCDF package has been built on a bunch of Linux systems --
although, obviously, we can't test the installation process for all
possible environments.

Why don't you follow the instructions near the end of the file
INSTALL.html with the enviroment variable settings that you think should
work and send me the relevant diagnogstic items.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson