20030709: trouble with installation of netcdf 3.5.0

>From: address@hidden

>Dear Sir or Madam,

>I report the problems I encountered during the netcdf installation.
>I enclose the following files requested:
>-macros.make,
>-configure.log,
>-config.log,
>-the file report_pb.txt which contains :the standard output of the command
>"uname -a", the content of the file VERSION, and the absolute pathnames of
>the compilers C, f90 and f77.
>
>I would be grateful if you could help me to find what is the trouble for
>this installation.

The config.log output you included shows that you most likely have
either CFLAGS or CPPFLAGS defined in your environment, and it/they has/have
'-o' as part of their definition.  If this is the case, you should

1) remove the '-o' part of the CFLAGS or CPPFLAGS definition
2) run 'make distclean'
3) rerun 'configure'
4) rerun 'make'

Please let us know if this solves your problem.

Also, I noticed that you are getting error/warning messages from your
Fortran compiler:

 This product (f77) requires a license password.
 For license installation and trouble shooting
 information visit the web page:

         http://www.sgi.com/Support/Licensing/install_docs.html

 To obtain a Permanent license (proof of purchase
 required) or an Evaluation license please
 visit our license request web page:

         http://www.sgi.com/Products/license.html

         or send a blank email message to:

         address@hidden

 In North America, Silicon Graphics' customers may request
 Permanent licenses by sending a facsimile to:

         (650) 390-0537

         or by calling our technical support hotline

         1-800-800-4SGI

 If you are Outside of North America or you are not a Silicon
 Graphics support customer then contact your local support provider.

This message makes it seem like the compiler will not work, but I have
seen similar sorts of messages on other user's machines where the
messages were warnings and not hard errors.

>Thanks,

No worries.

>Laetitia Toutain

(See attached file: config.log)
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:928: checking for top-level source-directory
configure:938: checking for m4 preprocessor
configure:945: checking for m4
configure:1012: checking m4 flags
configure:1085: checking C compiler "c89"
configure:1094: c89 -c -O -o -DNDEBUG conftest.c 1>&5
c89 ERROR parsing -o:  no argument given for option
configure: failed program was:
#line 1087 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

int main() {

; return 0; }
configure:1121: checking how to make dependencies
configure:1189: checking for CC
configure:1225: checking C++ compiler "CC"
configure:1243: CC -o conftest  -o -DNDEBUG  conftest.C  1>&5
CC ERROR parsing -o:  no argument given for option
configure: failed program was:
#line 1230 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" void exit(int);
#endif

                                #include <iostream.h>
                                int main() {
                                    cout << "";
                                    return 0;
                                }

configure:1189: checking for cxx
configure:1189: checking for c++
configure:1189: checking for g++
configure:1189: checking for gcc
configure:1294: checking how to run the C preprocessor
configure:1315: c89 -E -o -DNDEBUG conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
c89 ERROR parsing -o:  no argument given for option
configure: failed program was:
#line 1309 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <assert.h>
Syntax Error
configure:1332: c89 -E -traditional-cpp -o -DNDEBUG conftest.c >/dev/null
2>conftest.out
c89 WARNING:  raditional-cpp is no longer supported, use -Y instead
c89 ERROR parsing -o:  no argument given for option
configure: failed program was:
#line 1326 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <assert.h>
Syntax Error
configure:1349: c89 -nologo -E -o -DNDEBUG conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
c89 ERROR parsing -nologo:  unknown flag
c89 ERROR parsing -o:  no argument given for option
configure: failed program was:
#line 1343 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <assert.h>
Syntax Error
configure:1475: checking for f77
configure:1516: f77 -c  conftest.f
No such feature exists (-5,116)

 This product (f77) requires a license password.
 For license installation and trouble shooting
 information visit the web page:

         http://www.sgi.com/Support/Licensing/install_docs.html

 To obtain a Permanent license (proof of purchase
 required) or an Evaluation license please
 visit our license request web page:

         http://www.sgi.com/Products/license.html

         or send a blank email message to:

         address@hidden

 In North America, Silicon Graphics' customers may request
 Permanent licenses by sending a facsimile to:

         (650) 390-0537

         or by calling our technical support hotline

         1-800-800-4SGI

 If you are Outside of North America or you are not a Silicon
 Graphics support customer then contact your local support provider.

configure:1548: checking for Fortran .F compiler
configure:1558: checking if Fortran-77 compiler handles *.F files
configure:1569: f77 -o conftest  conftest.F
No such feature exists (-5,116)

 This product (f77) requires a license password.
 For license installation and trouble shooting
 information visit the web page:

         http://www.sgi.com/Support/Licensing/install_docs.html

 To obtain a Permanent license (proof of purchase
 required) or an Evaluation license please
 visit our license request web page:

         http://www.sgi.com/Products/license.html

         or send a blank email message to:

         address@hidden

 In North America, Silicon Graphics' customers may request
 Permanent licenses by sending a facsimile to:

         (650) 390-0537

         or by calling our technical support hotline

         1-800-800-4SGI

 If you are Outside of North America or you are not a Silicon
 Graphics support customer then contact your local support provider.

configure:1638: checking "f77" as Fortran-90 compiler
configure:1640: f77 -o conftest  conftest.f90
f77 WARNING:  compiler not invoked with language of source file; will compile
with f90 but link with f77
Feature has expired (-10,32)

 This product (f90) requires a license password.
 For license installation and trouble shooting
 information visit the web page:

         http://www.sgi.com/Support/Licensing/install_docs.html

 To obtain a Permanent license (proof of purchase
 required) or an Evaluation license please
 visit our license request web page:

         http://www.sgi.com/Products/license.html

         or send a blank email message to:

         address@hidden

 In North America, Silicon Graphics' customers may request
 Permanent licenses by sending a facsimile to:

         (650) 390-0537

         or by calling our technical support hotline

         1-800-800-4SGI

 If you are Outside of North America or you are not a Silicon
 Graphics support customer then contact your local support provider.

ld32: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "_END" -- 1st referenced by
conftest.o.
        Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and dsos
are loaded.
ld32: INFO    152: Output file removed because of error.
configure:1669: checking for xlf90
configure:1669: checking for f90
configure:1700: checking Fortran-90 compiler "f90"
configure:1702: f90 -o conftest  conftest.f90
Feature has expired (-10,32)

 This product (f90) requires a license password.
 For license installation and trouble shooting
 information visit the web page:

         http://www.sgi.com/Support/Licensing/install_docs.html

 To obtain a Permanent license (proof of purchase
 required) or an Evaluation license please
 visit our license request web page:

         http://www.sgi.com/Products/license.html

         or send a blank email message to:

         address@hidden

 In North America, Silicon Graphics' customers may request
 Permanent licenses by sending a facsimile to:

         (650) 390-0537

         or by calling our technical support hotline

         1-800-800-4SGI

 If you are Outside of North America or you are not a Silicon
 Graphics support customer then contact your local support provider.

configure:1704: ./conftest
configure:1751: checking for nm utility
configure:1758: checking for nm
configure:1825: checking nm flags
configure:1841: checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"
configure:1847: f77 -c  conftest.f
No such feature exists (-5,116)

 This product (f77) requires a license password.
 For license installation and trouble shooting
 information visit the web page:

         http://www.sgi.com/Support/Licensing/install_docs.html

 To obtain a Permanent license (proof of purchase
 required) or an Evaluation license please
 visit our license request web page:

         http://www.sgi.com/Products/license.html

         or send a blank email message to:

         address@hidden

 In North America, Silicon Graphics' customers may request
 Permanent licenses by sending a facsimile to:

         (650) 390-0537

         or by calling our technical support hotline

         1-800-800-4SGI

 If you are Outside of North America or you are not a Silicon
 Graphics support customer then contact your local support provider.

configure:1876: checking for Fortran "byte"
configure:1883: f77 -c  conftest.f
No such feature exists (-5,116)

 This product (f77) requires a license password.
 For license installation and trouble shooting
 information visit the web page:

         http://www.sgi.com/Support/Licensing/install_docs.html

 To obtain a Permanent license (proof of purchase
 required) or an Evaluation license please
 visit our license request web page:

         http://www.sgi.com/Products/license.html

         or send a blank email message to:

         address@hidden

 In North America, Silicon Graphics' customers may request
 Permanent licenses by sending a facsimile to:

         (650) 390-0537

         or by calling our technical support hotline

         1-800-800-4SGI

 If you are Outside of North America or you are not a Silicon
 Graphics support customer then contact your local support provider.

configure:1900: checking for Fortran "integer*2"
configure:1907: f77 -c  conftest.f
No such feature exists (-5,116)

 This product (f77) requires a license password.
 For license installation and trouble shooting
 information visit the web page:

         http://www.sgi.com/Support/Licensing/install_docs.html

 To obtain a Permanent license (proof of purchase
 required) or an Evaluation license please
 visit our license request web page:

         http://www.sgi.com/Products/license.html

         or send a blank email message to:

         address@hidden

 In North America, Silicon Graphics' customers may request
 Permanent licenses by sending a facsimile to:

         (650) 390-0537

         or by calling our technical support hotline

         1-800-800-4SGI

 If you are Outside of North America or you are not a Silicon
 Graphics support customer then contact your local support provider.

configure:1933: checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"
configure:1942: c89 -c -o -DNDEBUG -O conftest.c
c89 ERROR parsing -o:  no argument given for option

(See attached file: configure.log)
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for top-level source-directory
/users/air/laetitia/NETCDF/netcdf-3.5.0/src
checking for m4 preprocessor
checking for m4... m4
checking m4 flags... -B10000
checking C compiler "c89"... failed to compile test program
checking how to make dependencies... cc -M
checking for CC... CC
checking C++ compiler "CC"... checking for cxx... no
checking for c++... no
checking for g++... no
checking for gcc... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
checking for f77... f77
checking for Fortran .F compiler...
checking if Fortran-77 compiler handles *.F files... yes
checking "f77" as Fortran-90 compiler... failed to build test program
checking for xlf90... no
checking for f90... f90
checking Fortran-90 compiler "f90"... works
checking for nm utility
checking for nm... nm
checking nm flags...
checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"... sub_
checking for Fortran "byte"... yes
checking for Fortran "integer*2"... yes
checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"...

(See attached file: macros.make)
# $Id: macros.make.def,v 1.4 1997/09/18 20:56:03 davis Exp $

# The purpose of this file is to contain common make(1) macros.
# It should be processed by every execution of that utility.

# POSIX shell.  Shouldn't be necessary -- but is under IRIX 5.3.
SHELL           = /bin/sh

# Installation Directories:
prefix          = /opt/netcdf
exec_prefix     = $(prefix)
INCDIR          = $(exec_prefix)/include
LIBDIR          = $(exec_prefix)/lib
BINDIR          = $(exec_prefix)/bin
MANDIR          = $(prefix)/man

# Preprocessing:
M4              = m4
M4FLAGS         = -B10000
CPP             = c89 -E
CPPFLAGS        = $(INCLUDES) $(DEFINES) @CPPFLAGS@
FPP             =
FPPFLAGS        = $(CPPFLAGS)
CXXCPPFLAGS     = $(CPPFLAGS)

# Compilation:
CC              = c89
CXX             = CC
FC              = f77
CFLAGS          = -g
CXXFLAGS        = $(CFLAGS) @CXXFLAGS@
FFLAGS          = -g
CC_MAKEDEPEND   = :
COMPILE.c       = $(CC) -c $(CFLAGS) $(CPPFLAGS)
COMPILE.cxx     = $(CXX) -c $(CXXFLAGS) $(CXXCPPFLAGS)
COMPILE.f       = $(FC) -c $(FFLAGS)
# The following command isn't available on some systems; therefore, the
# `.F.o' rule is relatively complicated.
COMPILE.F       = $(COMPILE.f)

# Linking:
MATHLIB         =
FLIBS           =
LIBS            =
LINK.c          = $(CC) -o $@ $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS)
LINK.cxx        = $(CXX) -o $@ $(CXXFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS)
LINK.F          = $(FC) -o $@ $(FFLAGS) $(FLDFLAGS)
LINK.f          = $(FC) -o $@ $(FFLAGS) $(FLDFLAGS)

# NetCDF files:
NCDUMP          = ncdump
NCGEN           = ncgen

# Manual pages:
WHATIS          =
# The following macro should be empty on systems that don't
# allow users to create their own manual-page indexes.
MAKEWHATIS_CMD  =

# Misc. Utilities:
AR              = ar
ARFLAGS         = cru   # NB: SunOS 4 doesn't like `-' option prefix
RANLIB          =
TARFLAGS        = -chf

# Dummy macros: used only as placeholders to silence GNU make.  They are
# redefined, as necessary, in subdirectory makefiles.
HEADER          = dummy_header
HEADER1         = dummy_header1
HEADER2         = dummy_header2
LIBRARY         = dummy_library.a
MANUAL          = dummy_manual
PROGRAM         = dummy_program

# Distribution macros:
FTPDIR          = /home/ftp/pub/$(PACKAGE)
FTPBINDIR       =
VERSION         = dummy_version

report_pb.txt (application/octet-stream)
(See attached file: report_pb.txt)
$ uname -a
IRIX64 ariane 6.5 04101931 IP30

VERSION