Re: 20030505: Bug assumed: netcdf-3.5.0/src/libsrc/netcdf.h - old version ??

>To: address@hidden
>From: Notker Fechner <address@hidden>
>Subject: Bug assumed: netcdf-3.5.0/src/libsrc/netcdf.h - old version ??

Hi Notker,

> I downloaded the current version (3.5.0, compressed tar file
> "netcdf.tar.Z") of netcdf from your site
> "http://unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/index.html"; and installed it on
> a Linux PC. No Probs.
>
> Afterwards, I downloaded the current version (5.1.12) of grace and
> installed it, too. At least, I tried to - with netcdf-support.
> Unfortunately, though I added the location with
> "--with-netcdf-libraries=...", the "configure" script replies:
>
>     checking for netCDF API version >= 3.0... (cached)     no
>     --> support for netCDF is disabled
>
> I tried to find the reason for the error, and it finaly seems to me that
> you have included an old version of the netcdf.h file in your current
> tar-download. The ID listed in the netcdf.h file (dated Oct 13 2000) is
> as follows (line 33):
>
>    /* "$Id: netcdf.h,v 2.74 2000/10/13 15:48:08 russ Exp $" */
>
> But it is version 3.5.0, not 2.74! Grace requires at least version 3.0.

"2.74" is the version of the particular source file "netcdf.h", which
is the correct version of that source file for the "3.5.0" version of
the netCDF release.  CVS file versions are not synchronized with
release versions.  The configure script in Grace could calling the
supplied netCDF library function nc_inq_libvers() which returns a
version string, or it could test for the existence of a file that's in
version 3.0 and above of netCDF, such as "libsrc/v2i.c".  I just tested
this with netCDF version 3.5.0 using the following small program:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <netcdf.h>
int main() {(void) printf("Version: %s\n", nc_inq_libvers()); return 0;}

and it prints

 Version: 3.5.0 of Mar 26 2001 09:30:17 $

as expected.

> Can you please send a copy of the current netcdf.h file via e-mail to me?

If you want to try to build Grace with a more recent version of
netCDF, you could try version 3.5.1-beta10, available from:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-beta.tar.Z

which includes version 2.75 of netcdf.h that should be used with
version 3.5.1-beta10 of netCDF.

> Are there any other files out of date in the tar-distribution that I
> should replace?
> Can you please update the current download tar file?
>
> A feedback would be nice.

I'm not sure why the current released version 3.5.0 of netCDF is not working
with Grace, but there are no out-of-date files in the tar-distribution
of the release, as far as I know.  This might be an error in the Grace
configure script, if it is checking for netCDF API version >= 3.0 by
looking at the CVS version of the netcdf.h file.  If I search the
Grace mailing list for "netcdf", it appears that several people have
built Grace with netCDF support, and I don't see any other occurrences
of this error.

If you have better success with the beta version of netCDF or figure
out what the problem is with Grace, please let us know.

--Russ

address@hidden                      http://my.unidata.ucar.edu