Re: 20030307: netCDF library

>To: address@hidden
>From: Jiping Lu <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20030307: netCDF library

Jiping,

> Sorry, Russ, there was typo error in the last mail I sent to you.
> I used: LIBPATHS = -L/lib -lnetcdf
>
> However I gave an absolute directory in the Makefile, here is the output:
>
>       ( cd main ; make -i -r
> MODULE_DIRS="-I../dyn_em -I../dyn_eh -I../external/io_netcdf -I../external/i
> o_int  -I../frame -I../share -I../phys -I../inc" SOLVER=eh_em eh_em_wrf )
>       echo libwrflib.a
> libwrflib.a
>       f90 -o wrf.exe  wrf.o libwrflib.a ../frame/internal_header_util.o
> ../frame/pack_utils.o -L/usr/people/jiping/netcdf/netcdf-3.5.0/lib -lnetcdf
> ld32: WARNING 84 : /usr/people/jiping/netcdf/netcdf-3.5.0/lib/libnetcdf.a is
> not used for resolving any symbol.
> ld32: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "ext_ncd_get_dom_ti_real_" -- 1st
> referenced by libwrflib.a(module_io.o).
>       Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and dsos
> are
> loaded.
>

> Please see the warning message:
>
> ld32: WARNING 84 : /usr/people/jiping/netcdf/netcdf-3.5.0/lib/libnetcdf.a is
> not used for resolving any symbol.
>

> It seems that wrf.exe doesn't need libnetcdf.a,  but files define
> 'ext_ncd_get_dom_ti_real_'.

The subroutine family 'ext_ncd_get_dom_ti_real' is part of WRF, not
netCDF.  If you look in the WRF documentation for
"ext_pkg_get_dom_ti_type" you will find it in section 7.4.9 of the
document "Weather Research and Forecast Model 1.2: Software Design and
Implementation DRAFT" at

  http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/WRF_arch_03.doc

The name "ext_pkg_get_dom_ti_type" refers to a family of subroutines,
because "pkg" can be either "ncd" for netCDF, "hdf" for HDF, etc., and
"type" can be any of real, real8, integer, logical, or character.

So the linker error message is not finding the library that contains
the WRF Fortran routine "ext_ncd_get_dom_ti_real_".  The fact that the
name it is looking for ends with "_" but the documented name doesn't
may be a ,m but I'm only guessing.

So I'm afraid this is a WRF problem, not a netCDF problem, and I have
to refer you to someone who knows something about WRF to answer the
question.  I can't find the email of a WRF support group, but you
might try someone in the Web Site, Workshops, and Model Support
Working Group listed in

  http://wrf-model.org/ADMINISTRATION/WRF_directory.html

Sorry I can't be of further help.

--Russ