Re: 20030307: netCDF library

>To: address@hidden
>From: Jiping Lu <address@hidden>
>Subject: problem with

Hi Jiping Lu,

> I've installed netCDF3.5.0 on IRIX, tested it OK, but when I compile wrf, i
> had errors like:
>
>       f90 -o wrf.exe  wrf.o libwrflib.a ../frame/internal_header_util.o
> ../frame/pack_utils.o
>       ld32: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "ext_ncd_get_dom_ti_real_" --
> 1st
> referenced by libwrflib.a(module_io.o).
>
> Looks like wrf can't find some netCDF library. my PATH include:
>
> ~/netcdf/netcdf-3.5.0/bin
> ~/netcdf/netcdf-3.5.0/lib
> ~/netcdf/netcdf-3.5.0/include
> ~/netcdf/netcdf-3.5.0/src
> ~/netcdf/netcdf-3.5.0/man

Your PATH environment variable is used to find executable programs,
not libraries.  To link an f90 program with the netCDF library, you
would need to specify the library on the f90 command line, something
like:

        f90 -o wrf.exe  wrf.o libwrflib.a ../frame/internal_header_util.o
           ../frame/pack_utils.o -L/home/netcdf/netcdf-3.5.0/lib -lnetcdf

Two other ways to help f90 find the library are to:

 - specify where to look for libraries as part of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
   environment variable

 - install the library in one of the standard places where f90 looks,
   such as /usr/lib/

--Russ